Wednesday, August 11, 2021

TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE CHAPTER 2: NORTH AMERICA


Kindness surrounds us but it doesn't make the six o'clock news. We run into the very people that are making the world a better place every day. There are thousands.

#2001 
of 10,000 People.
I sought Matthew’s advice before my first genealogy trip to Japan. He has a photographic memory and is fluent in Japanese.  I knew he'd be an excellent source concerning the documents I would need to carry on my quest to find my Japanese ancestors in Niimi Japan.

At one point we met at Cal Tech in Pasadena California.  He brought his twins. #2,002, & 2003.  Hannah and ___, instantly I knew he’d have his hands full managing their genius. A few years later I meet his third child: Darwin #2,004.

Soon I boarded a plane with Matthew’s recommendations: “Take all forms of ID, then take anything else related to your mother and her family.” Then take more documents, you never know what will help.

He was right as I discovered when I walked into City Hall in Niimi, Okayama Japan, one of my mother's cryptic documents was the key that opened her official Japanese almost impossible-to-get-into archives.

#2,005 of 10,000 People: It was Monday August 9th, 2021 when I met Landon Langly at the gym. I needed his help.

A rotator cuff surgery makes it unwise to lift heavy objects above my head so I asked Langdon if he’d raise the heavy pulley on an exercise machine. He happily raised the pulley mechanism, then we talked for a time.  Langdon has an honest charm: he could sell ice cubes in Iceland.  He is in the U.S. Air Force, aspiring to be a Chaplain.  So this is what someone looks like before officially becoming a chaplain.  One day he’ll be a highly respected Chaplain, someone a soldier can seek out for guidance and a moral compass.



#2,006 Chucky Thomas, is a hapa and the first student genius in my career.  He was in my first Anatomy and Physiology class when I started teaching at Foothill High School.  I was told he was “too smart for his own good”.  

Not long after the first week of class Chuckie stayed after school to tell me about Outward Bound Adventures:  “OBA takes inner city kids on backpacking trips to the High Sierras. You should volunteer as a credentialed teacher.  A week behind, I was up to my eyeballs with papers to grade but he kept asking for the rest of the year.

Now he is the CEO of Outward Bound Adventures. He’s doing plenty of good now making the world a better place.  https://www.obainc.org/



#2,007 #2007  Like the kind people we met in  Japan, Kathy Gagliardotto of California lives the  samurai principle of community building. This characteristic can be reflected in her last quote:

    "My motto is living life to the fullest because life is about seizing the moment and choosing to be happy in everything we do.  
    My idea of happiness is seeing my kids successful in their chosen careers that are oriented to helping others.
    My biggest flaw is doing my best to please others even if it’s at the expense of my own happiness. "

Bushido, samurai principles,  were visible as she engaged with people at the gym:  Honor, Justice, Respect, Honesty. They recognized these qualities in Kathy.


#2,008  We were only 5th graders and yet John Trosper was at the top of my list when it came to honesty and integrity. We met at Monte Vista Street School in Highland Park, California.  I mentioned John when my Catechism teacher, a young priest, told us one Saturday that everyone that was not Catholic was going to hell.  He was a wonderful teacher. I found his classes always interesting especially since last Sunday when I was in the vestibule of Saint Ignatius Church where I found a list of books banned by the Catholic Church. On it was Letters From the Earth by Mark Twain.  I couldn’t believe Mark Twain was banned!  I had to know why. That was Sunday. On Monday I went to the nearby Arroyo Seco Regional Branch Library after school and checked out this banned book. I couldn’t read it fast enough!  Twain’s witty, funny and bold, I thought. But why ban his book? So I read on. By Saturday questions were spilling out of my head.  My cup runneth over, so to speak. As usual my catechism teacher (wish I could remember his name) was very mindful about answering all of my questions. There were many. Too many some might say. But he was earnest and consistent in backing Catholic dogma, and kind all along the way. So when he repeated John was going to hell, I had to stand up for John.
I said: “John is half Chinese and probably comes from a family of Buddhists. He is also the most honest kid I’ve ever met. When we see Saint Peter and line up to get into heaven, based on goodness, John should be up front, the first in line. And me... I should be way back toward end of the end line.”  
The priest said: “John is going to hell.”
I said: “My God would never allow that to happen!”

That was my last day in catechism. My wonderful teacher asked if I could stay after class for a short talk.  I’d been asking way too many questions, partly influenced by Mark Twain. And other kids were starting to ask questions too. 
This kind priest asked if I’d stop coming to class because he was having a very difficult time with my questions. I was heart broken because the class was so interesting.  

John Trosper top left, Toby on the right of this photo.


 
John enlisted in the Marine Corp after graduating from Franklin High School in Los Angeles.  He became a Marine Air Corp Air Traffic Controller.  If the military gave medals for ethics, I’d nominate John Trosper for the highest honors. He will always be the most honest kid I ever knew. He inspired integrity and that’s quite a feat for a 5th grader!




#2,009 Second from the left in the photo below.  I met Roy Beer in elementary school or was it two years later at Luther Burbank Junior High School.  Roy taught me how to surf (at the “Cliffs” at Huntington Beach), he taught me how to ski (we’d drive to Mammoth Ski Area in time to be the first on the lifts).  Roy was seconds away from being a military casualty in VietnamClick HERE for Roy’s Vietnam Journal





His dedication and earnest character have been an inspiration that dates way back. He’s been a good friend since we were little kids.


















#2,010 Archie Tier  Wednesday April 12, 2023  "I try to *help at least one person every time I'm in the gym. You're my guy today." See the definition below. 
From Merriam-Webster:  Help tansitive verb 
1.  To give assistance or support to (someone) with something that is useful or necessary.
2. To make more pleasant or bearable.
3. To be of use, BENEFIT. To further the advancement of: PROMOTE 
4. To change for the better. 

Syn: confort, guidance, support, assist, lift, nourish
Phrases: So help me:  upon my word.
Time Traveler: The first known use: circa 12th century in English. Probably earlier in other languages.

Syn: confort, guidance, support, assist, lift, nourish
Phrases: So help me:  upon my word.
Time Traveler: The first known use: circa 12th century in English. Probably earlier in other languages.


#2,011
Wednesday, April 3, 2024  A perfectly excellent day to ski the Town Lift in historic Park City, Utah.  

Spontaneity had swept us here to 7,000 feet though I'd not done my proper 6 week physical pre ski training, but the mountain tops were calling. After 4 falls, I decided to call it a day, then I saw the Bridge Cafe and sat long enough to have a soda. The pause was so restorative, the mountain tops were calling, the Town Lift was just a few feet away, and still, no lift lines! You guessed it. Felt like I had enough in me for another short run.  

That's when I took this photo riding up a chair lift into a mistake hidden inside a gorgeous day.  That "one more run." was not a completely bad idea except that I'd not counted on missing the turn to King's Run, the easiest way down the mountain.  Long story short, I'd missed that turn 3 times, including two additional falls, found myself on a run called "Quit N Time." Turns out, not as easy as it sounds. 

That's where I took my 7th fall, ending up flat on my back in a painful knot from which I had no way out.  I could lift my helmet off the snow, and move my right hand, but I could not release the ski binding lever holding my right boot. 

There's a Japanese proverb: 
"Nana korobi ya oki".  
Fall down seven times, get up eight. 
But how was I going to get up? 

There I was, a tangle, knotted on the snow looking up to cerulean, a perfectly blue shade of sky.  Unsure of the passing of time I hear the rasp of approaching skis...

"Are you okay? Do you need help?"  Later I'd learn that Annia Orendain Gomez was her name. I pointed to the heel of my right ski binding, she knew exactly what to do. Taking the small tip of her ski pole, placing it in exactly the right place on the heel clamp and giving it a bump, the binding popped, releasing my right foot. It took a while to get my feet pointing down the mountain and in position to stand up.  (My 8th time standing today after my 7th fall.)
#2,011 Annia Orendain Gomez  
"On a clear day, you can see forever." It was clear to Annia that my right leg was not well enough to ski, I'd have to walk down this steep terrain.

"Would you like me to carry your skiis? I can leave them at the bottom of the run."   She was off, cutting quick turns down the steep slope holding my skis over her right shoulder.  Annia turns out to be an amazingly strong skier.  Must have taken an hour to limp my way to the bottom. And there was Annia with two of her ski buddies waiting for me at the bottom. An incredibly generous gesture when they could have  been skiing an additional hour to wrap up their beautiful day on the mountain. 
Annia, as it turns out, is another one of those people that make the world a better place.  Which leads me to a question: How do people grow up to be kind? What happens to them along the way that allows empathy and thoughtfullness to unfold? 
I'll ask her and put her answer here. -->

"I’ve honestly not always been a nice person, life has taught me that you have to help as much as you can and try to be a better person every day. Growing up my parents always tried to educate us to be polite and kind with the people around us, to include the people who are left out, they wanted to teach us that a small act of kindness can change another’s person hole life, to have someone that actually cares even if it’s a stranger, can change anyone’s perception of life. So as live goes on, I always try to be kind, even if is to say good morning or good afternoon to the people I encounter, because I know, it will make their day better and that makes me genuinely happy.  It grows on you and I believe small acts can make a difference."

I sense another story.  When you wrote:  “I’ve honestly not always been a nice person, life has taught me that you have to help as much as you can and try to be a better person every day. 

Which leaves a question.  Was there something that happened that changed Annia into a nice person? Seems this would further illuminate what is already posted.


...There are people who say today's kids don't care.  My theory is... those people watch too much television news. 







No comments:

Post a Comment